Since December 2015, when the IFSA first announced the Level 100 (L100) Coach Certification program, more than 120 coaches across North America have initiated the certification process. We’d like to extend congratulations to the first wave of IFSA L100 Certified Coaches and encourage those in the process to complete their certification courses.
175 IFSA Athletes traveled to Kirkwood Mountain Resort for the 2017 Junior NorAm Championship last week. These talented rippers were awarded The Cirque, a permanently closed zone littered with playful terrain and steeps. This venue had never been used before in junior competition, and we were eager to see the creative lines thrown down by our junior athletes.
Tag your freeride photos on Instagram to win a #ThisIsFreeride sticker!
We're launching an Instagram contest February 20-27, 2017.
We'll select our 9 favorite photos and send the winners #ThisIsFreeride stickers!
- Post photos this week on Instagram with the hashtag #ThisIsFreeride to enter
Winners will be selected on February 27, 2017
Winners will be contacted on Instagram
Show us what freeride means to you for the best chance to win
- Enter as many times as you like
Congrats to all of the IFSA atheltes battling the strong winds (up to 160 km/h), intermittent snow and flat light on the competition face (Pic Alt de Cubil)! Way to REPRESENT TEAM IFSA!
Roster of Freeride Junior World Championship riders unveiled!
The FJWC is just around the corner! Check out the complete roster of the best junior riders in the world competing at the most important event in Junior freeride!
On February 5, 2017, the ski resort of Grandvalira, Andorra, will welcome over sixty youth riders aged 15-18 for the most prestigious junior championship event in the sport of freeride. The earthshaking level of talent that made last year’s event unforgettable will once again face off at the Pyrenean epicenter of freeride.
Young skiers and snowboarders have earned their invitation for this championship by their past results in Freeride Junior events and will represent over 15 nations hailing from Europe, North America, and Oceania.
We are thrilled to announce that Kirkwood Mountain Resort will host our 2017 Junior Series NORAM Champs the week of April 3, 2017.
To bring the Junior NORAM Championship to Kirkwood means a great deal to the local community, who has loyally supported a long tradition of world-class freeride competition. Kirkwood has bred some of the most successful big mountain competitors in the world including Craig Garbiel, Josh Daiek, and Hazel Birnbaum. Kirkwood and its surrounding peaks contain massive amounts of challenging terrain, suitable to testing the skills and knowledge of freeriders. From Vista Ridge to the famous Cirque and beyond, the mountain will welcome the most talented young freeriders in North America.
A few reminders and notes about how to register for 2017 Junior IFSA events:
We will be using the same 3-phase registration process for National Series events, all other Junior Regional events will offer open registration:
- Prequalified Registration
- Team Quota Registration
- Open Registration
You must renew or purchase your 2017 membership before you can register for any 2017 freeride events. Click HERE to purchase your annual membership! Ensure you have a valid license before you attempt to register for any events.
DO NOT book your travel until you are invited and confirmed for an event.
NORTH AMERICAN ADULT COMPETITIVE OPPORTUNITIES INCLUDE:
- The IFSA Freeride World Qualifier (FWQ) Series events are open to adult athletes over the age of 18 and points earned are awarded towards Freeride World Tour qualification. The amount of points awarded is dictated by the level of event, 2*, 3*, or 4*. Events with a higher star value indicate the potential to earn more points at that event. (i.e. winning a 4* event will earn you more points than winning a 2* event.) Entry into 3* and 4* events is primarily dictated by athlete position in the 52 week seeding list (More info below).
- Our Collegiate Series is open to athletes who are 18-24 years of age OR full time students. These events also earn points towards FWQ ranking at the 2* level, but competitors must fit the collegiate athlete requirements to compete. Collegiate IFSA licenses are also valid for the FWQ event series, but simply allow the IFSA to track your collegiate ranking.
IFSA is excited to announce SASS Backcountry Education Scholarships. Our Education Partner, SASS Global Travel will be handing out a $300 scholarship to an IFSA competitor at four upcoming junior events. These scholarship funds can be used toward any backcountry based education course in any location. Options include using the money towards Avalanche Courses, Wilderness First-Aid Courses, specific Rescue Certifications, Outdoor Leadership Courses or anything you can come up with that will make you a stronger, more knowledgeable and safer backcountry skier or snowboarder.